EDUCATION

Iets te melden over de vrijheidsstrijd, de OPM, Act of Free Choice, enzovoorts. Plaats je bijdrage hier.
Plaats reactie
vangessel

EDUCATION

Bericht door vangessel »

Papuans after uni education JAKARTA: Two Papuan asylum seekers yesterday said they travelled to Australia seeking a university education, rather than asylum for human rights abuses. Hana Gobay, 23, and Yubel Kareni, 22, returned to Indonesian voluntarily last month, two years after they were granted temporary protection in Australia. They were part of a group of 43 Papuans who successfully sought political asylum in Australia in 2006, sparking a diplomatic crisis between Jakarta and Canberra. “That was our main goal — we really wanted to continue our studies, (to go) to university in Australia,” Gobay, of Merauke in Papua, told AAP in Jakarta. “When I got there we could not continue to university. We were only learning English and computer courses. My main intention was to go to university.” She declined to talk about the human rights situation in Papua, saying: “I know nothing about it”. The pair is currently in Jakarta and yesterday met with members of the National Human Rights Commission and parliament to discuss their situation. She earlier told Indonesia’s El Shinta radio station she returned to Indonesia for three reasons. “The first reason was because I wanted to meet my family, secondly I have the right as an Indonesian citizen to go back to Indonesia — I love Indonesia,” she said. “Thirdly, I feel that we were treated like objects to gain something (for someone else), for personal gain. “... I went to Australia to have an education there, but in fact it was not like what I had been told.” Yubel Kareni, 22, from Serui in Papua, said he decided to return to Indonesia because he missed his family. “We went there (to Australia) to continue study,” he said. “I was disappointed when I was there ... I could not continue with university.” He believed at least one other member of the group was preparing to return to Indonesia.
webmaster
Beheerder

Re: EDUCATION

Bericht door webmaster »

Tja wat wil je anders zeggen als je terug wil vanwege heimwee. Het klinkt natuurlijk niet zo leuk voor degenen die zich ingezet hebben om ze een verblijfsvergunning te bezorgen in Australie. Maar ik kan me voorstellen dat Australie in hun beleving wel even heel anders is dan West-Papua. En dan ook nog het gemis van de familie daar bovenop. Het zij zo.
Plaats reactie