Mining Capitalism - Stuart Kirsch

Heb je een boek gezien of gelezen dat interessant is? Meldt het hier en geef informatie over titel, auteur en prijs. En misschien en korte samenvatting of recentie?
Plaats reactie
Koen J de Jager

Mining Capitalism - Stuart Kirsch

Bericht door Koen J de Jager »

Kirsch, Stuart 2014

Mining Capitalism The Relationship between Corporations and Their Critics

ISBN: 9780520281714
University of California Press, 328 p.
The new book Mining Capitalism: The Relationship between Corporations and their Critics by Stuart Kirsch (professor of anthropology at the University of Michigan), examines the interactions between indigenous peoples, NGOs, and the mining industry. It draws extensively on examples from New Guinea, including the Freeport mine in West Papua. It examines the use of legal strategies to curtail the harm caused by mining companies, including the unsuccessful lawsuit against the Freeport mine in the U.S. District Court in New Orleans. It considers how the mining industry responds to criticism by co-opting the language and strategies of its critics, including claims about sustainability and corporate social responsibility. In addition, it examines how Freeport-McMoRan tried to prevent indigenous peoples from gaining influence at the United Nations and treat scientific data about pollution downstream from its mine in West Papua as proprietary business information. The book also considers new, more hopeful strategies of protest and resistance. Order online at
http://www.amazon.com/Mining-Capitalism ... 0520281713
Bijlagen
Cover Kirsch-Mining
Cover Kirsch-Mining
Cover Kirsch-Mining sm.jpg (90.56 KiB) 2139 keer bekeken
Plaats reactie